Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Shear strength of screws

On 4/6/2012 11:05 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I've always taken a serendipity view of screw gauge when doing rough
stuff as in "hey, I'd better use a bigger screw for this." I need to
cobble together some two bys for a frame for a basement storage rack.
I've got a box of number 9 2 1/2 inchers that ought to do the trick.

Question: Is there a formula for determining the minimum gauge for a
screw if you know the load?

My favorite screw for that application is a "Spax":

http://www.mcfeelys.com/spax-screws

I prefer them for attaching cabinets to walls these days because of the
superior shear strength.

That said, most engineers will tell you that for many
construction/structural projects nails will provide more shear strength
than screws, so it really depends upon the application.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010