Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Boiler Leak - Any Worcester-Bosch Experts Out There Please?

On 04/04/2012 14:05, Jim K wrote:
On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 13:51:35 +0100, TheScullster
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

Is it possible that driving rain has got into the flue and drained back
to the boiler? The weather has been wild here in East Yorkshire
overnight and this morning.

A possibilty, it was pretty wild up here last night. Did you have any
powder snow last night? That is terrible stuff for getting through
tiny holes and getting carried deep into and building up in places
that rain won't reach. It then melts... The wind last night was also
NNE'ly which isn't all that common a direction.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Thanks Dave

No powder snow, more like sleat and driving rain from what I saw this
morning.

The guy who called blamed rain ingress and also a dodgy seal - my wife's
update sent to me just now reads:

"combination of wind direction driving rain inside & the large seal at
bottom of ?condenser? was leaking. This has been turned round and is
watertight again."

What I don't understand is, if the rain drives into the "condensing"
part of
the flue, I would expect it to simply mix with the condensed vapour
and exit
the boiler via the condensate trap/drain. If it enters the vapour outlet
part of the flue, how does it drain through the boiler past the burners
etc.?

ask him when you get his bill?

Jim K

FWIW we had problems with the pump on our 24i. Very slow leak to start
with, which the warmth from the boiler dried out before it appeared
externally. WB engineer said their pump seals weren't that great. Bottom
right about an inch from the front IIRC