Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default All aluminum versus copper/aluminum coils for air conditioner?

Smarty wrote:
On 3/31/2012 8:47 AM, Smarty wrote:
I have spoken with several HVAC contractors regarding replacement of
my old Lennox central air conditioning system. All of them are Lennox
dealers except one who also carries Trane products.

The dealer who also carries Trane was trying to switch me from my
original Lennox preference, stating that the Trane coils, which are
100% aluminum, rather than the Lennox coils, which use aluminum fins
and copper tubing, provide a better, longer lasting design.

He felt that Trane was superior in other ways also, since they used
"composite plastics" in the outdoor condensing unit case rather than
steel to ensure that no corrosion or rusting would occur.

The basic claim was that Trane, using aluminum for all of the
refrigeration loop, had a longer life expectancy that Lennox, given
the newer Puron refrigerant.

Does anyone have any experience with Trane, and is there any science
to support this type of claim or any other prior experience to say
that Trane is somehow better?

Thanks for any advice.

As the original poster of this question, I am very sorry to see not a
single reply............

This newsgroup really has become quite pathetic over the years, thanks
to the combined efforts of those who think it deserves to be a place
to discuss everything BUT home repair topics.

To the trolls who like to post about getting their cock caught in a
carpet stretcher, to harry who insists on rambling about all things
political to all the other folks who seem to think this is the right
place to show their skills in endless threads about nonsense, I say a
big **** YOU as you have effectively weakened the value of a very
useful forum and made it into a garbage pile.

Maybe some new forum will arise where people with home repair issues
won't be surrounded by these huge message turds which offer nothing of
value to the average home repair person.

I see several replies. Don't let the door hit you......