Posted to alt.home.repair

Default All aluminum versus copper/aluminum coils for air conditioner?

I didn't think you saw what I wrote.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Smarty" wrote in message
On 3/31/2012 3:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:06:48 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

It's been my experience that copper is a harder metal, and much easier
work with, in terms of soldering or brazing. I've not tried aluminum, I'd
just expect it to melt out from under.

With no data except my gut hunch, I'd not put aluminum unit in my own
home.
Until it had been on the market for several years.

It has been on the market for years. It is cheaper to build, more
difficult to field repair.

All aluminum coils were starting to come into play in the late 1960's.
I worked for a company that made HVAC units until 1970 and we made our
own copper tubed coils and they started to buy aluminum coils.

Thanks Ed for your reply and information. I just noticed that you have
taken the time to provide useful and helpful information which I
appreciate very much, and I am going to go with the copper / Lennox
approach. My very limited experience working with aluminum leads me to
the same conclusion you state and copper seems like the better choice. I
am guessing that aluminum is becoming popular more as a result of rising
copper costs than other, technical reasons.

Thanks again.