Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default All aluminum versus copper/aluminum coils for air conditioner?

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:06:48 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

It's been my experience that copper is a harder metal, and much easier to
work with, in terms of soldering or brazing. I've not tried aluminum, I'd
just expect it to melt out from under.

With no data except my gut hunch, I'd not put aluminum unit in my own home.
Until it had been on the market for several years.

It has been on the market for years. It is cheaper to build, more
difficult to field repair.

All aluminum coils were starting to come into play in the late 1960's.
I worked for a company that made HVAC units until 1970 and we made our
own copper tubed coils and they started to buy aluminum coils.