Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cat deterrents (DIY)

On 22/03/2012 13:53, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population. At
first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

I have a toddler and I know dog mess contains germs that can cause
blindness, I don't know whether the same is true of what the cats
leave behind, but regardless, I don't really want him playing with it!

I have searched the internet and it claims some smells act as a
deterrent: citronella is one suggestion. How volatile is that? Would
it evaporate too quickly?

Many of he powders available from B&Q and garden centres seem to
contain pepper. The problem with these seems to be that the smell
washes away after the rain and has to be topped up. Is there a
catering supplier I could get very large (kg) quantities of pepper
from cheaply?

Ammonia seems to be another suggestion and Jeyes fluid. Again Idon't
know how volatile these are and the ingredients in Jeyes sound almost
as unfriendly as the cat litter!

There was a product that used to be highly recommended which was a PIR
activated water spray. I don't imagine it was intelligent enough to
aim and target the intruder, so I presume it just operated a wide fan
spray? Is that right?

I think these are £40-£50 and I would need more than one, which makes
things expensive. I could make one. I have seen 12v dc solenoid valves
but do such things as 12v PIR exist? The ones I have seen are 240v for
lights. I'd prefer not to mix and match voltages and SELV would be
better for obvious reasons.

The RSPB web site seems to favour ultrasonic deterrents but these cost
as much. Has anyone made their own? Does anyone know the ideal
frequency? I remember using 40kHz piezo transducers once upon a time
but I wonder whether they would be loud enough or the right pitch.
Again PIR controlled but I think either of these could be made DIY for
a fraction of the retail price.

What do you think?

Have you tried this?
http://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/to...id.2000004185/
[I haven't - but would be interested to know whether it actually works!]
--
Cheers,
Roger