Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Ridgid - DeWalt Battery Adapter

That may be true of festool. I doubt they use a stupid charge technology.

I have computerized chargers for my lithium and lipo batteries, the
lithium ion and lithium poly invalidated my old computerized chargers
used for nicad, and nimh.

What festool probably has is a computer chip that senses voltage and is
working off that for charge, for nicad and nimh it is probably either
shutting off based on a curve, when the battery starts taking less amperage.

For lithium ion and poly it probably uses a different set of criteria.
Not like your Rigid, Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, Milwakee, or Royobi... Which
probably don't have the sophistication built into the charger.

BTW the more advanced lithium batteries prevent you from deep discharge.
The lesser batteries don't.

Temperature is not a great way to stop charging. It's the cheapest, and
most destructive.

On 2/26/2012 5:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/26/2012 1:07 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Can't be done.

The lithium generally use different prongs, so the charger knows what it
is charging. Lithium can not be charged the same as nicad or nimh.
Also the cell voltage is different.

Yeah, that is incorrect. AAMOF you can plug any Festool battery that
will fit into a current Festool Charger regaudless of chemical makeup or
voltage.

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/c...-3-495227.html

You'll never see an old nicad/nimh holding lithium.

This link leads to batteries with same cases and diferent chemical make
up batteries that will all fit the same tool and charger.

http://www.festoolusa.com/accessorie...-chargers.html