Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Propane question

On Feb 18, 6:01*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I have two propane appliances. * One is a Bosch range top, fed from an
outside 114 gal propane tank. *The other is a Vermont Castings grill, fed
from a 20# bottle. *Both of the tanks are outside.

At this time of year, when I go to grill, there is barely enough propane
coming out to get the grill to 250 degrees, even with four burners on high.
The grill DOES need cleaning (boy, howdy, it really does), which may be part
or all of the problem.

But, the two feed off tanks that are outside at the same temp. *The cooktop
line, though, comes through the garage and a heated portion of the house, so
gets some heating up along the way, but the regulator and tank are still
outside.

Just how does propane function with relation to outside temperatures, and
when is it just too cold to grill outside? *Temps here during the
questionable episodes were 40-45 deg. F at max coldness, so not down there
around freezing. *There was some wind, and in the past that does blow the
flame around a lot.

After a thorough disassembly and cleaning, what can I expect from propane
use outside in 40ish temperatures?

Steve

it should still heat well, i have grilled at near zero, after bringing
the 20 pound tank indoors in hot water to warm it up a bit.

your burner may be clogged, or a spider may have made a nest in a
orfice or line. might be a bad regulator

inspect the burner its probably clogged or may be rusted or burned
out.

i love my very old lava rock grill. i put parts of it in my self
cleaning oven to degreae it..... on the shortest cycle possible.. the
lid slumped a bit, it must of started to melt