Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default USPS Smartpost Insurance Scam

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

I wondered about that. The last shipment I got was from L.A. and it
took nine days to make it 850 miles north into Oregon. Part of the
trip was the flight to Kent, WA, about 400 miles north of me. Go
figure.

Smartpost (misnamed) was bought up wholesale by fedex, who evidently
haven't figured out that the turkey tarnishes their reputation, as they
leave it running on it's craptastic model, as opposed to bringing it up
to the usual FedEx standard. Don't blame the USPS - if you want to ship
an insured package USPS, take it to the Post Office and do that, or have
them come pick it up. As with any hub and spoke, they ship it to their
hubs, regardless of it being past where you are. Mind you, the only
place I deal with that seems to use it normally is Amazon free shipping,
and 5-6 days of the delay there appears to be Amazon sitting on your
package (they claim it's shipped, but no tracking information is
available) because they want you to pay extra for faster shipping.
Amazon did refund the package they failed to deliver here.

In any case, the solution is to not use them - vote with your $.