Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default DIY Indoor Waterfall?

radiotom wrote:
Ok, I've been lurking for awhile but I have a question that I've been
posting to other forums too, collecting ideas, so I thought I'd throw
it in here too. I wasn't sure where to post it but I hope this is Ok.
My wife and I recently went on a home tour and one of the homes had an
indoor waterfall. Now my wife is really on a kick to have one of our
own. Here's the kind of thing she's looking at - 'Bluworld of Water'
(http://shop.bluworldusa.com/All-Fountains/products/29/). Now you'll
notice that these thing are quite expensive. I know she doesn't really
expect me to go out and buy one, she knows how cheap I am, but I would
love to get her one for our anniversary. So, what I'm thinking is, how
hard could it be to make one of these? I'm looking for suggestion and
ideas, any opinions and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think it would be all that hard. IF you are able to do metal work,
that is; if not, I don't think it would be terribly expensive to have the
metal work done by a shop.

Basically, you would need...

1. A watertight pan to hold the water

2. A non-rusting frame attached to the pan to hold the panel

3. A submersible pump

4. Probably a filter.

The hard part is figuring out what you want. Vertical panel or inclined?
Glass? Metal? Smooth or maybe with angled troughs so the water will run
down to the next below it.

You need a pan big enough for stability (especially if you have a cat

You need a way to get the panel out of the frame without wrecking everything

You need room in the frame for tubing. Small, flexible plastic tubing such
as that used for aquarium accessories might be good.

A way to drain it could be useful

Gotta be able to clean it.

Might need to add some chlorine to the water.

The above aren't necessarily suggestions, just sort of thinking out load.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...