Posted to uk.d-i-y
Syke[_2_] Syke[_2_] is offline

Default Painting emulsion on wood ?

On 21/01/2012 20:49, Rick Hughes wrote:
In my previous house had white gloss everywhere .... and that meant on
new wood ..
knotting primer 2 coats undercoat top gloss coat

In current place not used gloss anywhere, all skirtings, architraves &
doors are stained ash .... now come on one job where I don't want to stain.

Just finished putting finish on Loft access hatch ... opening all nicely
lined in Ply, hatch out of ply stiffened with 3 x 1 frame ...

Fixed the architrave around opening today .. and have just given it all
a coat of white primer.

The intent was to put a coat of one of the one-coat white paints, but
SWMBO just asked a valid Q ... "can't we just use same pain we put on
the ceiling?"

Never used semi matt emulsion on wood ... is there any reason why it
could not be used ?

I had kitchen and bathroom ceilings of T&G wood which had been stained
and varnished (polyurethane). They had gone quite dark with age but I
gave them a coat of old emulsion (thinned) and then two coats of
bathroom type emulsion (a light colour). This was done about four years
ago and they're showing no adverse signs so far.

Syke