Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil tank - how low to go

On Jan 15, 5:55*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/15/2012 4:07 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:

My furnace service man recommends adding conditioner to prevent sludge
and absorb moisture. *This is similar to adding stabil to gasoline.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

well....

1. diesel conditioners don't absorb water
2. where is this "sludge" coming from? *If the oil man is not bringing
it, then where would it come from?

Oil tanks slowly accumulate sludge on their own. Algae
growth for example is a well known problem with fuel oil
and diesel. Tanks that sit above ground are more prone
to problems because with wide temp swings you get
condensation and a more hostile environment. Water
brings algae, rust, etc. Over many years you wind up
with sludge in the bottom. Folks who remove tanks
deal with it regularly.

--
Steve Barker