Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Finding/Locating sewer line under basement floor

On Jan 11, 1:18*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
You could buy about 50 pounds of radioactive waste from Japan (on ebay) and
put that in the drain. Use a geiger counter to follow the signal. That's
creative, fun, and memorable.

Toner tracer set like the phone guys use. On sale, at HF.
* *http://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

Have your mother in law yell into the toilet, and pretend to trace the line.
Keep saying "A little louder, dear"

DAGS:http://tinyurl.com/83atd7u

I'll think on this for a while, and some other zany ideas will come to mind.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Ron" wrote in ....

I own a property that has a cast iron sewer line that runs under the
basement floor, and I want to be able to mark out and locate where it runs
under the basement floor. *I know that I could hire a company to come out
and do that, but I am wondering if there are any fairly cheap, creative, and
interesting/fun ways for me to try to locate the line myself.

For example, is there some kind of small signal generator that I could
attach to a sewer line snake and detect the signal from above with some type
of detector? -- maybe something that Radio Shack or some electronics store
might sell?

Or, are there relatively inexpensive underground pipe-locating devices that
I could rent somewhere and do the job?

Would a metal detector be able to detect a cast iron pipe under a concrete
floor (assuming that the pipe is not down very far below the floor?

Simple:

"Many dowsers today use a pair of simple L-shaped metal rods. One rod
is held in each hand, with the short arm of the L held upright, and
the long arm pointing forward. When something is found, the rods cross
over one another making an "X" over the found object. If the object is
long and straight, such as a water pipe, the rods will point in
opposite directions, showing its orientation."

from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing