Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thinner alternative to drywall?

On Jan 10, 8:22*pm, TimR wrote:
On Jan 10, 5:41*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 08:40:57 -0800 (PST), Bill Ventura

wrote:
I'm changing out my kitchen ovens and the new one
needs an additional 3/8 to 1/2" of side clearance. *It is
a sheetrocked wall, 1/2". * *Because it will be hidden
doesn't matter about looks. *The oven is rated to be
installed in wood cabinets with essentially zero
clearance. *Some options that come to mind:

1 - Remove the drywall and trim the studs down by 1/2"
over the full height of the wall using a router? *Other ideas?
Then re-drywall. The wall is non-load bearing.

That is a good option. *In spite of the zero clearance rating, I'd
like to see sheetrock next to my ovens and continue to meet fire
codes.

Or, since this is a very small area:
Remove old drywall.
Cut new drywall to size to fit between studs and flush with them.
Tape and joint compound, paint the wall.

It will be impossible to tell the entire space is not drywall. *You
haven't compromised any of the strength, and you've put back much of
the fire protection.- Hide quoted text -

But you do have wood exposed to the oven. Sheet metal is better than
that, I would cut back the studs and then redrywall to meet any fire
code questions. You wouldn't want a fire and then have insurance
denied because there was no drywall.