Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Pinhole in 2" Steam pipe

wrote the following:
On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 04:51:22 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

Last night while checking on one of the buildings I manage, I noticed
a pinhole leak coming from a 2" steel pipe that enters the side of the
boiler. The leak is not at the boiler, but at the top of the pipe
( it's a horizontal pipe). Fortunately it is above the water line. I
assume its probably because of corrosion, but in any event I shut down
the boiler and went to a nearby hardware store and purchased 2 part
epoxy, and applied it to the pinhole. Waited about an hour, fired up
the boiler and let it get to full steam at about 3PSI. I saw no leaks
after sitting there about an hour monitoring the situation. I'm
wondering how long it will hold. But one thing I noticed is the epoxy
dried as hard as steel.

How are these pinhole leaks usually repaired? I heard of JBweld, but
you need to wait a while until it sets, plus its rated to only 200-250
degrees. The stuff I used is rated to 300 degrees.

The only other way is to replace the pipe. You'll probably be doing
that soon anyhow. Once there is one leak, another will come soon.

Where did you read that about JB Weld? I've used it on engine blocks
and exhaust pipes with no problems. Or is that the JB Kwik (Quick
drying)? JB Weld is an epoxy, but has always been rated better than
others. But they may have new epoxy made to copy JB Weld these days.

He didn't say what type of epoxy he used, but he was wrong about the JB
epoxy. JB Kwik is rated to 300ºF and bonds in 4 minutes. Cures in 4 hours.
The regular JB Weld is rated to 500ºF, sets in about 5 hours, and cures
in about 15 hours.
I have used the JB Weld and it remains runny for a long time. I didn't
time it, but when checking it after after an hour or so, I could still
move the epoxy. It also still stuck to my finger.

Is your epoxy clear, or gray? What brand?

Sounds like you solved the problem at least for awhile.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY