Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best primer to avoid raising the grain...

On Dec 18, 10:06*am, blueman wrote:

2. Zinnser BIN Shellac-Base Primer
* *(will shellac-base be less likely to raise grain? But it's marketing
* *seems more targeted at stain-killing)

Once I discovered how easy this stuff is to use, i have never looked
back. I spray it, and unless I get a nib or two, I don't sand.
However, if it is hand applied, I always sand just a bit to get the
last of the brush strokes out.

BIN is simply dewaxed, shellac with zinc oxide ( I believe ) suspended
in it. It provides good stain killing properties, but the bonus is
that the resulting surface is more grippy than plain shellac.

6. Suck it up and sand after priming? It's good for you...

If hand applied, you bet.

Robert