Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson[_2_] Andrew Mawson[_2_] is offline

Default Grease gun operation - duh?

"Lobster" wrote in message ...

Being a bit thick here, but I have a grease gun similar to this:
http://tinyurl.com/bvjee69 (or
http://www.screwfix.com/product/jsp/... &docRoot=http
//s7g3.scene7.com/is/image/&viewerRoot=http://s7g3.scene7.co
/is-viewers-4.1/&company=ae235)
...which I've been trying to re-load. I use it very seldom, and think I've
only ever actually charged it with grease the once, when I bought it; and
ISTR did so using a can of the grease which you had to push the base of the
gun into, against a metal disc with a hole, 'floating' on the grease?

This time I've bought a cartridge of the stuff, and I'm obviously being a
bit thick cos I can't figure out how to get the grease into the gun! Either
that, or something's maybe broken...?

The cartridge has a rip-off tab at one end (which I've duly ripped off);
and the other end has a removable cap. The grease gun has a syringe-like
plunger at the back, with a small toggle affair (like the one at
http://tinyurl.com/bvjee69) which doesn't appear to be doing much. I've
tried variously shoving the cartridge into the gun (won't go) and pulling
and pushing on the plunger all to no avail. How's it supposed to work?
Does the cartridge stay within the grease-gun, or is the aim to eject the
grease from it, into the gun?

Thanks!
David

pull the handle / rod fully out so that it is extended and held out against
the spring by the clip on the screw on cap. Remove the screw on cap, insert
the cartridge having removed it's seal. Screw back the cap, then release the
clip on the cap which allows the handle / rod to return under spring
pressure forcing the grease forwards. Use the gun, and as it is used
occasionally release the clip to allow the rod / handle to continue it's
journey.

AWEM