Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson[_3_] Don Phillipson[_3_] is offline

Default how on earth do I remove this screwless glass ceiling light dome?

"eric" wrote in message

Got quite a problem here because I'm moving out of my dorm in 2 days'
time, and I need to change my ceiling light bulb before then
(otherwise they'll impose some ridiculous penalty charge on me).

Anyways, here's how my domed ceiling lamp looks like:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2015/lampfv.jpg

As you can see, there are no screws whatsoever. I've googled quite a
few places, and tried some of the proposed solutions such as:
1) Twisting the dome (with my hands)
2) Pushing up on the dome, then twisting it, or rocking it like crazy
while twisting it with maximum strength
3) Pulling it down (although this is not quite possible since there is
nowhere to hold the dome)

Nothing worked.

1. This seems a bit silly. We should expect the person who tells
you of the penalty also to tell you how to replace the bulb.
2. Inventory of trials omits trying to rotate the ring (collar) that
holds the dome, in case the whole cover comes off like
some smoke alarms.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs