Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] google3luo359@yahoo.com is offline

Default Septic alarm

On Dec 1, 5:53*pm, RBM wrote:

* Thanks!

OK, what are the symptoms?

OK thanks for the responses.
Here's the story.

I'm hoping someone will be able to give me advice and possibly how-to
direction.

We had heavy rains a couple of days ago.
My septic alarm went off during the rain (when no water was being used
in the house).
The alarm has stayed on ever since.

System is 13 years old (with pump replaced 5 years ago).

Today I had the chambers pumped, but first I wanted to check the pump
well to see what the problem is.
The water level in the well was low (below the pump float threshold).
The alarm float was dangling straight down, a couple of feet from the
top.

The septic worker diagnosed the problem to be with the alarm float.
He raised the pump float and the pump turned on, so the pump is fine.

After jiggling the alarm float I checked the alarm inside and it was
still on.

So my questions center on the alarm float.

I have a couple of quotes at around $250 (parts and labor).

Can I do the repair myself and would it be worth it?

There is a alarm box in the basement that plugs into a power
receptacle.
The alarm box has one cord running from it through the basement wall,
underground and feeds into the pump chamber.

The hole in the basement wall is sealed with soft putty.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.