Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default dishwasher water doesn't get hot

Bill wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Run the hot water in the sink first.

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. A
dishwasher is more like a dish sanitizer...

Balderdash!

With a suitable amount of TSP added to the dishwashing detergent, a
dishwasher WILL wash the dishes.

Somewhat exasperated with my current squeeze's hand washing before putting
dishes in the washer, I commanded: "STOP. Time to perform an experiment!"

Over her skepticism, we loaded the dishwasher with bowls encrusted with
dried chili, a skillet with baked-on egg remnants, glasses with milk residue
in the bottom, forks whose tines could not be seen inasmuch as they were
covered with some unknown food remnants, and a bunch of regular stuff.

Then we added my special concoction of powdered detergent, augmented by 15%
TSP.

Forty-five minutes later, the dishes came out super-clean, the cutlery was
sparkling, and my honey was VERY grateful (if you know what I mean).

When dishwashers first hit the market, manufacturers were perplexed that
they weren't selling. It was only THEN that they decided to do some market
research! They found that many (most?) women actually LIKED to wash dishes
by hand (God only knows why). The manufacturers changed their marketing push
to emphasize "sterilizing" rather than "washing" as a dishwasher's main
purpose.

Sales took off, because many (most?) women insist on "germ free" stuff (God
only knows why).