Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On Oct 23, 5:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Evan wrote:
On Oct 22, 11:05 pm, J Burns wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve
Grease. It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The
tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?

@J Burns:

In what application ?

Using teflon tape on threaded pipe fittings to provide an extra level
of
sealant in the threads is the primary application of teflon tape...

In some applications like gas piping, pipe dope is required in place
of using teflon tape...

The avowed purpose of Teflon tape is to make threading the pipe easier by
providing a slippery surface. It is the deformation of the threads that
provides the sealing of the joint.

Teflon tape does provide SOME sealing, but can't be counted on to provide a
complete one. If it did, pipe dope would not be required for certain
application.- Hide quoted text -

One major reason for not using teflon tape in certain applications is
the small pieces that get cut loose during the threading operation and
screw up equipment down stream. Thus it is bad to use it in hydraulic
systems.

I used to work in a farm equipmen manufacturing plant. We learned not
ot use it on the hydraulic systems frothat reason. Had seveeral
returns where we had to tear down and overhaul hydralic pumps due to
teflon in the close tolerance places. I suppose the same would be
true for gas lines.

Harry K