Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Broken office chair

Jim wrote:
This posting may be a little difficult to present clearly. I
"had" a no-name office chair, at least I did until last Friday
evening. This be a gas strut supported swivel chair that is
height adjustable. Perhaps 10 years old.

While turning slightly I suddenly found myself on the floor. The
top bracket, a box shaped assembly to mate the chair to the gas
strut portion had sheared.

Hate to toss out the chair base/back unit as it is nearly perfect.
Searching online (eBay) for replacement base assemblies show
they run more than just buying a replacement chair.

If anyone here has had similar experiences I'd like to learn some
options.

Take it to a muffler shop and have it welded back together. About ten bucks.