Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Power floating old concrete

On Sep 30, 10:46 am, Tim Watts wrote:
fred wrote:
Present workshop has a concrete floor which wasn't power floated when
it was poured. (Not sure if I am using the right terminology. I'm
talking about that very smooth, powder free, almost glossy finish
often seen in warehouses etc.)

Any way to achieve this finish now on the floor which most be 18 years
old at this stage ?

I had thought about self leveling cement but I have heavy machinery
which I move about now and then and my experience of self leveling
cement was that it wasn't very strong and tended to crumble.

Any other suggestions ?

About 25 sq mtrs involved.

Any method of doing it piecemeal would be appreciated as I don't fancy
having to pull everything out in one go.

Paul Mc Cann

I would have thought that you have two viable options with a simple 3rd:

1) Big assed diamond based concrete polisher which are hireable. If the old
concrete is tough, in principle you could polish it up to quite smooth. If
the concrete is a bit friable, it may well start crumbling on the surface
though. Conjecture - have not tried.

I remember using one of those at a works where adjacent bays of
concrete had been laid "out" so some junctions needed grinding back to
minimise a minor (but too big a) trip hazard... m/c was a ball ache
and took bloody ages and lots of carborundum blocks to get that
done... don't remember the finish being especially "smooth and
polished" either - more like scoured and pockmarked where aggregate
"came out" and left depressions etc. (It was all painted when done
anyway)

Jim K