Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default NEC question: low-voltage wiring crossing 120v wiring.

I am running network cables -- shielded, if that makes a difference --
above suspended ceiling where there is already 120V Romex wiring in
places. This 120V wiring is stapled to the joists at intervals.

Is it OK for the network cables to lie on the ceiling support members,
and thus beneath the Romex? Or should the network cables be above the
Romex? Or should one or both be in conduit? -- more precisely, should
what is now Romex be redone with individual conductors in conduit?

Perce

the only thing they taught us to avoid is running parallel to high
current cables. But if you're using shielded cable, even that shouldn't
matter. And i don't imagine any cable in a house to be high current
except the range line and the line to the a/c unit. Lay away!

--
Steve Barker