Posted to uk.d-i-y
johno[_2_] johno[_2_] is offline

Default Wood carving chisels for a beginner

Thanks for all the replies, always good to have some suggestions. I am
not a newbie to sharpening tools etc, just new to wood carving and
fully agree with all the sentiments re blunt tools! Trying to find
good secondhand tools is always a high priority for me, however I have
not managed to find any wood carving chisels yet, just a very good set
of chip carving tools.
Tim, I would never dream of using a chisel to lever out a nail!, my
grandfather would turn in his grave if I did (he was my mentor) and as
all the timber I will be carving is from the raw, nails should not be
an issue, but I take your point.
Johno, I will check out the Aldi offer tonight on the way home, worth
a punt at that price!
I like the looks of the Flexcut set at Axminster Andy and will
probably buy a set on payday :-)

Thanks again for the advice