Posted to uk.d-i-y
Onetap Onetap is offline

Default Softened water in combi boiler

On Sep 23, 1:21*pm, Steve Lewis wrote:
When I installed a salt water softener, I was under the impression
that it was harmful to a combi central heating system if salt softened
water was used inside it, so I installed it bypassing the central
heating system.

I have now read several threads on various web sites saying that it is
ok to use salt softened water.

Which is correct?

What you've done. Hard water won't damage the primary circuit unless
it is leaking.
The cold water into the combi for the DHW should be softened, or the
plate heat exchanger will scale up.

I won't be installing, it will be a bona fide gas safe installer.

Be warned; they know a bit about gas and sod-all about water
treatment.

On Sep 23, 2:29 pm, Peter Parry wrote:

Both. Softened water contains very small amounts of Sodium Chloride
(salt)

It shouldn't. Only if the softener is defective.