Posted to alt.home.repair
ls02 ls02 is offline

Default Fascia and soffit: aluminum vs. vinyl

On Sep 14, 10:56*am, "
wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:23:45 -0700 (PDT), ls02 wrote:
I need to wrap soffit and fascia on my new addition. What material,
aluminum or vinyl looks best, easier to install for an average
homeowner?

Aluminum, if you can afford it. *Vinyl-clad aluminum, if you're feeling rich.
;-)

Vinyl can sag and can look terrible. *Aluminum is almost as easy to work with.
A circular saw (I used a RAS) with a plywood blade in backwards (AND HEARING
PROTECTION) cuts it very easily. *It goes up easily and looks great. Soffits
and Facia are a piece of cake.

Thanks everyone. I never heard of Vinyl-clad aluminum. How is it
better than plain aluminum? I also though you cut aluminum coil with
metal snipers.

I have two questions:

1. How to bend aluminum? I don't have any specialized equipment.

2. How to patch aluminum seams to look good? Should I use caulk?