Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

millinghill wrote the following:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

I use the 3M clear duct tape. It lasts much longer and doesn't dry out
or delaminate like the grey stuff. I have had the foam covering all the
cold water lines in my basement for years, and the clear duct tape is
still holding. I've even used it outside and it's gone through hot
summers and cold winters without deteriorating.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY