Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running Boiler During Power Outage

On Sep 10, 5:23*pm, George wrote:
On 9/10/2011 1:58 PM, Selk Perkner wrote:

I have an older Weil Mclain gas steam boiler for the radiators in my
house. *If the electricity goes out, it won't run -- I believe it needs
electricity to operate the gas valve, and the thermostat is also wired
into a circuit.

Should electricity go out to the house during the winter, I could
certainly get by for a few days with flashlights and coolers as long as
there is heat. *I have instructions for running the boiler manually, and
could connect a battery operated thermostat, but would prefer to run it
on a backup electrical connection if possible so I don't have to babysit
it in the dark.

Good idea, most gas utilities won't even allow a manual bypass gas valve
for obvious reasons since it bypasses all safety devices.

There is a single electical conduit running into the boiler which is
connected to a box with an on-off switch above the boiler, as well as a
line running from the thermostat.

The thermostat is obviously a straightforward job, but is it a
straightforward job to switch the power at the on-off switch from the
regular house current to a backup source? *How much capacity will this
backup need -- does it pretty much need to be a gas generator, or can I
get by with a battery backup of some sort?

If it is just an old natural draft boiler without inducers or other
electrical loads a UPS would work. If you wanted an elegant solution
there are UPSs that can be hard wired. In that case you wouldn't have to
do anything to switch over since the UPS would do it for you.

Is this just a quick project in the event of a major winter outage
(assuming I buy the parts ahead of time) or should I get the guy who
does the annual inspection do the work? *I've done plenty of basic
wiring like running cable for new outlets and lights and switches, so
I'm not intimidated by basic stuff, but also know better than to mess
with stuff beyond my pay grade.- Hide quoted text -

I'd start by measuring how much current the boiler
actually draws. Then knowing that and how long
you want to be able to keep it running you can determine
if a UPS will fit your needs or if you need a generator.
The advantage to a generator would be that it can
last as long as you keep it fueled.

For about $400 you can get a 3 or 4KW generator.
They also have kits available for about $250 that will
convert it to run off of natural gas. That eliminates
the need for gas and gives you an unlimited supply
as long as the gas doesn't quit too.

If you go the generator route, I would look into a
solution from Interlockit. They have kits where you
can use a circuit breaker and their slide lock on
many existing panels. That together with an inlet
device would allow you to use an extension cord
to connect the generator when necessary and
power ANY loads in the house. You just have to
manage the loads so that you don't exceed the
generator capacity. That would allow you to run
refrigerators, lights, etc of your choice in addition
to the boiler. It's a simple modification and IMO
a lot better than figuring out how to rewire just
the boiler.