Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Alde bubble gas leak detector, how does it work (and where to buy cheaply)?

Tim Downie wrote:
fred wrote:
On 8 Sep, 09:14, wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm submitted this idea :
It looks similar to the fermentation trap used on the top of a
brewing/wine making vessel / jar in concept.

Basically as gas passes through it, its forced to bubble through a
liquid, hence making any gas flow "visible". So if installed near
the supply after the regulator, any bubbles indicate gas being
passed into the system. If all the taps are off, then you know
something is leaking or letting by.

I would agree with that description, though I have never seen one.

They are probably not much more useful than checking for leaks by
turning everything off, then the regulator off - leaving it off for
a while, then back on. If the regulator hisses, then you have
leaked some pressure. You do though have a constant check with the
bubbler, for potential leaks.

If it's that simple why is it so expensive?

Though looking at a close up of the device:-
http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=53

it seems as if you could well be right. You have to "Press the red
cap" for the leak detection to operate so presumably normally the gas
bypasses the leak detector chamber.

It still seems a bit of a rip-off price, typical boat equipment! :-)

--
Chris Green

Wouldn't dream of using one on a boat as it would give no audible
warning. By the time you've noticed it showing a leak the bilges could
be filled with gas or you could be accelerating skywards

Paul Mc Cann

Hmm, I think I'd rather have a good visible indicator of a leak rather than
wait for a possibly fallible detector system to tell me that the leak had
already happened.

I don't think it's meant to replace a gas detector, more as an additional
safeguard.

Yes, exactly, a regular check of the bubble detector will show up even
tiny leaks before anything else is noticeable.

--
Chris Green