Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Alde bubble gas leak detector, how does it work (and where to buy cheaply)?

On 8 Sep, 09:14, wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm submitted this idea :
It looks similar to the fermentation trap used on the top of a brewing/wine
making vessel / jar in concept.

Basically as gas passes through it, its forced to bubble through a liquid,
hence making any gas flow "visible". So if installed near the supply after
the regulator, any bubbles indicate gas *being passed into the system. If all
the taps are off, then you know something is leaking or letting by.

I would agree with that description, though I have never seen one.

They are probably not much more useful than checking for leaks by
turning everything off, then the regulator off - leaving it off for a
while, then back on. If the regulator hisses, then you have leaked some
pressure. You do though have a constant check with the bubbler, for
potential leaks.

If it's that simple why is it so expensive?

Though looking at a close up of the device:-
* *http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=53

it seems as if you could well be right. *You have to "Press the red
cap" for the leak detection to operate so presumably normally the gas
bypasses the leak detector chamber.

It still seems a bit of a rip-off price, typical boat equipment! *:-)

--
Chris Green

Wouldn't dream of using one on a boat as it would give no audible
warning. By the time you've noticed it showing a leak the bilges could
be filled with gas or you could be accelerating skywards

Paul Mc Cann