Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default Plans for making a simple plow plane?

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 06:15:08 -0700 (PDT), "William F. Adams )"
wrote:

On Aug 27, 1:49*am, Roy wrote:
Buy a copy of Making Traditional Wooden Planes by John Whelan. *

This is the best book on planemaking I have seen so far, but this is not a
frenzied field of publishing. *It provides info on making many types of planes
beyond the basic Krenov style covered in the Finck/Krenov book. *Whelan uses b&w
drawings/plans, dark photos plus building comments for around 18 types of
planes, including three plough planes. *Starts with a Krenov style plane and
increases in complexity and difficulty from there. *I would love to buy a copy
of this book with better illustrations, but it doesn't exist.

I would suggest you have a set of plough cutters, preferably the same maker, or
at least with the same angle on them before you start. *There are 2-3 types of
cutters, and you need a different wedge for each one because of the difference
in angles. *

You could probably buy a working plough plane with maybe a cutter off the bay
for about $20, even less, or a lot more, depending on what you want. *I've found
a few a cheap as a gloatable $6 at fleas. *Cutters usually sell separate from
the planes and run from $20-60+ a set. *

Amazon claims they have 8 books left in stock as of this posting. *Lee Valley
stocks the book also. *You'll have to do your own Google search for online
plans. *They are out there, along with a couple of very good sites that cover
building other types of traditional planes. *Watch the line wrap on this URL:

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Traditi...Whelan/dp/1879...

Thanks!

I'll have to kick this around a bit --- not winning on the auctions
I'm bidding at on the Extremely Big AuctionY site, and not having any
brilliant insights into designing one to make, nor finding any plans
on-line.

William

Bid ... higher??

See the Crowbar FAQ for instructions.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...da4343c8b54652

or if you're line-length challenged like me:

http://tinyurl.com/3l8s3kw