Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Attaching 2x4 to cinder block wall

On Aug 23, 8:17*am, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
In article , "RogerT" wrote:
I am looking for suggestions on how to attach a 2x4 to a cinder block wall.

Use Tapcons.

[...]

Since the 2x4 will be attached to the wall below the outside ground level, I
was thinking of using some type of rubber or similar strip to try to isolate
the wood from making direct contact with the cinder block to avoid moisture
and termite problems. *And, maybe I would use pressure treated wood for that
one 2x4 -- but I'm not sure about that idea.

Why not? This seems like an ideal application for treated wood.

So, one question I have is what to use between the wood and the wall -- *
rubber, tar paper, or what?

Nothing. If the basement is dry, you don't need anything like that. If it's
not dry, then you should fix your moisture problems first.

And, the second question is how to attach the first horizontal 2x4 to the
wall.

Tapcons, as noted above.

Treated wood is not 'rot proof' it _will_ rot, just takes longer. Do
something to keep the moistur away from the wood.

Harry K