Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Reinforced (door) strike plates

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 16:49:49 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:

Little brick bungalow in a midwest US city. Quikset door locks.

When I moved in 25+ years ago, everybody had just knob-set locks on their doors.
Burglars got more active, folks added deadbolts, mostly with the little
Mickey-Mouse screws holding lite strike plates. Thats what I got now.

Burglars keep getting worse and worse, just kicking in rear doors. I need to
reinforce my locks.

I got front and rear doors, each with a knob-set and a deadbolt. Old lite
strike plates are about 2 1/4 " long. There is about 1 1/2 " between the
plates on the rear door, about 3" betwixt on the front.

I figure I'd be reasonably secure if I could get, say, a single very heavy duty
strike plate to handle both locks on each door using 6 or 8 3.5" screws driven
into the 2 2x4's in the door frame.

I checked Lowes and HD online, stopped by 1 hardware store, called a
locksmith. Doesn't look like they have anything like what I need (the usual
case).

Any ideas? Whats the best I could do for, say, $20-40 per door, installing
myself?

Thx,
Will

These are from Kwikset for the dead bolt.

http://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-Security-Deadbolt-3222-01-CP/dp/B000BCDI4C

Not familiar with ones for the knob-set. You could use longer screws
on those.

Pre-drill for the longer screws as you can break them off.