Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Mounting Shelf Without Damaging Walls?

On Aug 17, 11:45*am, "Bill Hall" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I need to mount the corner shelf in this picture on my daughter's dorm room
wall. I am not allowed to drill holes in the wall or damage the walls in
any way.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...lockshelf.jpg/

The shelf is to hold a clock radio. Last year I used strips of Velcro on
the sides and it held for a few months, but eventually the weight of the
clock and it's use (pushing buttons) caused the Velcro to pull off of the
wall.

I then added the dowel (again using Velcro) mounted at a 45 degree angle
below the shelf to support the front and it worked fine, but I didn't like
the look.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to mount the shelf so that it
holds without the dowel? 3M Command strips? Removable Silicon adhesive?

Yes, I am aware that any surface mount that I use could fail because of
the paint on the walls, but let's assume that the paint will hold.

Thanks!

I would suggest a painters "push-up" pole. Use an appropriate sized conduit
clamp , mount it to the shelf,around the pole. Then simply set the push -up
against the wall and extend to get compression. Did a similar thing in a
rented apartment once, but with several shelves attached to the pole (mini
speakers.) *For appearance sake, your daughter could wrap the pole with some
snazzy type ribbon as a decoration!

Bill in Plano- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bill, that's an interesting concept.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with a "painters push-up pole" and
Googling the term wasn't much help (lots of hit for fiberglass attenna
masts).

Is it something I'll find if I run over to a big box store or
dedicated paint store?