Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Hammerite radiator paint

"Pete" wrote in message

"Chris Bartram" wrote in message
On 16/08/11 19:26, Pete wrote:
Had a bit of a nightmare with this stuff the last few days. Basically I
rubbed down a rad, primed it. Then put one light coat of hammerite
smooth
rad enamel. Lef it for the recommended 16 hours dry time.

Came to re-coat it and started applying paint, not to much not to little
and
it ran like a 3 year olds nose.

I'm no novice decorator but this is my first rad. From the sounds it
sounds
like I am using too much paint for it to run buuuut it doesn't spread
with
any less paint.

...No idea why I think may be rub it down and the rad spray stuff ? very
thin coat after thin coat. At this rate it would have been cheaper to
buy
new rad and easier.

huff...

I had a nightmare with radiator paint years ago, so just used normal
satin
'gloss' recently, which seems fine.

As it gone wrong at this point so letting it dry and then should I jut
flat
it with some wet and dry and then top coat with the stuff you recommended
?
2 coats should be fine right ?

Sorry about the million questions never touched a rad before.

I think you are using the wrong paint.. the best stuff I have found for rads
is dulux satinwood.
It goes on easy and resists heat.
Being a microporous paint it doesn't flake either.
I paint them about every five or six years.