Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default How much space needed for a staircase

On 15/08/2011 12:44, wrote:

We're looking into providing our son with a separate part of our house
to use as his home (he currently rents a flat locally). It all looks
fairly easily do-able but one issue is the need for a new staircase.

I'm pretty sure there's enough space but looking at staircases from
Screwfix and such it's very difficult to workout how much space the
actually need.

We're aiming to put it in one end of our (very large) hall, the space
we'd *like* to fit it into is about 2.2 metres by 2.5 metres and has
one outside door opening into it. Is it practical to get a
conventional staircase into this space (with a turn if necessary) or
do we need to be thinking about some sort of compact/spiral one?

A conventional stair ought to fit. Building regs document K1 is the one
you need. Relevant bits extracted below:

"STAIRS AND LADDERS
Steepness of stairs Rise and going
1.1 The requirement will be satisfied if, in a flight, the steps all
have the same rise and the same going to the dimensions shown in 1.3 or
comply with 1.4 and 1.5.
1.2 Three categories of stairs are considered in this Approved Document:
"Private" intended to be used for only one dwelling.
"Institutional and assembly" serving a place where a substantial number
of people wilt gather.
"Other" in all other buildings.
1.3 Indication of the practical limits for rise and going, for each
category of stair which satisfies the requirements, is given below.

a. Private stair: Any rise between 155mm and 220mm used with any going
between 245mm and 260mm, or
Any rise between 165mm and 200mm used with any going between 223mm and
300mm.

The maximum pitch for a private stair is 42deg

1-5 The normal relationship between the dimensions of the rise and
going is that twice the rise plus the going (2R + G) should be between
550mm and 700mm.
Diagram 1 shows how to measure the rise and going (for steps with
tapered treads, see also paragraphs 1.18 - 1.20).

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |