Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DougC DougC is offline

Default Friction welding

On 8/14/2011 1:38 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Is this an acceptable process?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81732304/?lt=ep

I think not, with the way it stopped the lathe. Maybe if the fixed piece
was allowed to spin before stopping the motor there would have been less of
a jolt.

As somebody else said, it's not a lathe. It's supposed to do that.

Another common use of this method is welding the exhaust turbines onto
turbocharger shafts. I looked a bit for some good videos of that but
didn't see any. The newer machines are a lot more protected, you can't
see much happening.... ten years ago, the older ones were quite a bit
more 'open" and lathe-like.

------

Can you do friction-welding on a regular lathe? Even of just two very
tiny parts? This would be more of a "stupid shop trick" more than
anything useful, but I do wonder.....