Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Gray water leachfield

On Jul 26, 10:41*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I'm making a beer brewing room in one of my containers. *I want to drain
grey water (that with soaps, sanitizer, and a little organic matter) into a
leachfield. *There will be no septic tank because there will be no solids.
I know people who have done this with RV's.

I am going to cautiously read up on my county's laws, but think I can put
one in with little falderal in my very rural setting.

Anyone done this? *Advice? *Suggestions?

TIA

Steve

Heart surgery pending?www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Where are you located ?

Do your state regulations consider grey water to be sewage ?

Your county permitting process for installing a septic system
would have to be followed, every state regulates this sort of
thing...

It sounds as if you need to look into the state laws on this to
see if grey water is considered sewage and would have to have
the full gamut of pre-install permitting and soil perc testing
before you can start digging...

It also sounds to me like you want to carefully consider where
you locate this grey water discharge system as if it is too close
to your septic system discharging all of the soaps, sanitizers and
the like can affect your black water septic system as those sorts
of chemicals tend to kill the bacteria in the septic system which
process the waste...

I have not done this before but have observed the process through
attending hearings where septic system designs were considered
and approved after hearing the reports from the perc testing and
the hydrologist's report on the conditions of the water table and
aquifer in the area...

Advice: Seek out an expert in the design and permitting in
septic systems in your state -- you might be an early adopter
of a grey water system... In no case should you be digging
trenches and putting a system in by yourself without a permit...
YOU may know what that drain should be used for but will
future owners or users of your property know that your homemade
and un-permitted grey water system doen't have a septic tank
and therefore shouldn't have certain things drained into it ?

Suggestion: Same as advice only with the addition that you
should seek out environmental type water conservationists
in your area and see what advice they have, what licensed experts
they recommend you get design advice/assistance from and
perhaps they might know of how to apply for special permitting...

Good Luck...

~~ Evan