Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gareth[_3_] Gareth[_3_] is offline

Default Best fixings for plasterboard walls and ceilings?

On 26/07/11 21:47, NT wrote:
On Jul 26, 9:42 pm, wrote:
I'm baffled by the huge array of fixings for use on plasterboard walls, e.g.

Fischer Plasterboard Plugs LDF and HDF

Rawlplug Unu

Fischer High Performance Universal Plugs

Then there are more complex looking things like:

Self-Drill Plasterboard Fixings, metal and plastic

Spring toggles

Metal Plasterboard Anchors

I've seen a few of the regular posters in here recommending Rawlplug Uno
but are any of the plugs designed specifically for plasterboard any
better and are the more complex things worth it for heavier items - I
imagine that plasterboard itself isn't very strong so a stronger fixing
can only help a little though I suppose the spring toggles spread the
load a bit but even so...

These things also seem to be classified as light, medium and heavy with
little indication of what is considered light, medium or heavy which
doesn't seem very helpful.

Any advice greatly appreciated, e.g. would you trust a couple of
Rawlplug Unos to keep a bathroom cabinet on a plasterboard wall?

Thanks,

Gareth

I wouldnt trust 2 of anything to keep a cabinet up. Plasterboard isnt
that strong. Some people here have far more faith in it than I though.

My last house was all brick and since moving into this house (all brick
downstairs, plasterboard upstairs) I have actually found PB to be
stronger than I expected, but then I haven't put anything heavy on any
of the PB walls yet.

Fixings not designed for plasterboard are unusable on PB.

Your best
bet is locate the vertical stud and screw into that.

Of course that's the answer I didn't want

NT

Thanks for your reply.