Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default 400 Hz

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:41:44 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I have an old Yamaha 2600 watt generator. When I bought it years ago it
was awesome. I was even able to run my compressor off of it in a pinch.
It was clean too. Computers TVs. No issue. I haven't fired it up in
several years, but last year we had a power failure at the house for 3/4
day, and I tried to run our fridge off of it, The fridge never started.
It ran lights just fine. and I was able to run my table saw or my band
saw, but they just didn't sound right. I pulled out my old Radio Shack
meter flipped it to frequency mode and checked it. Yep 400 hz. This
meter very reliabley shows household 110 at 59-60 so I know its not out
in left field.

Where do I start looking to fix the generator?

Is it an inverter model? If it isn't, then it's been 400Hz all along.
If it is, then somehow the inverter board has gotten the notion into it's
little electronic head that you want 400Hz (it must have been designed in
as an option for avionics use).

Whether it's a processor that's just gone completely wonky, or a jumper
that fell out (or got shorted from age and corrosion), or what -- I
dunno. A new inverter board is probably the best answer, but if you're
handy with electronics then a schematic, some careful measurements, and
thinking until elbow grease drips out your ears may lead to a solution.

--
www.wescottdesign.com