Posted to uk.d-i-y
AlanD[_3_] AlanD[_3_] is offline

Default Plastic-coated skirting board

On 18/07/2011 16:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:

"AlanD" wrote in message
In ,
wrote:
Can anyone recommend a supplier (on-line or in Bedfordshire) for
plastic
coated skirting board?
It's to go into a bathroom, where the existing painted MDF shirting has
blown from the damp atmosphere - so looking for a suitable alternative.

If it's that damp I'd be looking at why. Unless it is direct water
spillage on it.

Small bathroom with a shower, no extraction fan (on the list!).
MDF has failed after ~5 years from where paint has been
scratched/chipped (3 small kids.... Grrr) and damp has caused it to
swell. Hence looking for harder-wearing alternative.
The window sill is also MDF, and in a bad way, planning to replace
that with composite worktop material or similar.

I'd use real wood for both - with a good paint job, it can always be
repaired. My sills are 120 years old and fine.

Found some laminated window cill cheap enough (ebay), so will fit that
in place of the MDF cill, should put up with the abuse better.
Think you're right, painted real wood skirting may be the way to go.