Posted to alt.home.repair
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Recall on PEX water pipes?

On Jul 15, 7:55*pm, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 20:30:39 -0400, Home Guy wrote:
While I'm on the subject of water pipes -

Is there a recall on PEX water pipes?

I'm hearing that some people are suing because their PEX piping system
is failing at the connection points. *Costing them thousands to rip it
out of their new homes and replace it.

Might only be for the hot water lines.

There was a case a couple years ago locally (Las Vegas). ZURN
connectors made in Canada leaked and caused plenty of damage to many
homes. *The problem appears to be that to much zinc was used in making
the brass connectors, which caused them to leak, Maybe a couple of
other brand connectors.

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/zurn-pex-plumbing.html

I'm not familiar with anything recent. Never heard of a problem with
the PEX pipe.

My system is 13 years old -- no problems knock on wood..

I think there was also a case quite a few years ago. We built a house
in '99 that had a water manifold system that used PEX. The plumber
made a point of telling us the pipe and connectors he used were not
the ones subject to earlier publicity and suits. Lived there 9 years
and no issues.

RonB