Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Cantilevered garage

On Jul 16, 8:17 pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
Matty F writesI've nearly finished my garage that I discussed recently.
There's no room to drive into the end of it, so I have made two huge
doors so that the end and most of one side open up.

I see you have stiffened one with diagonal bracing. It might be as well
to do the other now before you have to lift to close.

That's 12mm plywood on the door. Surely that is enough to hold it
square. I was a bit worried about weight, but the doors swing wery
well. The wind does catch them though so I'l have to have a hook to
hold them open.

Here's the garage with the doors shut:
http://i56.tinypic.com/io21w0.jpg

and with the doors open:
http://i55.tinypic.com/r8fb01.jpg

Here's the inside of the roof, which is held up by Douglas Fir:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2r5c1ef.jpg

That little post on the left does a really good job of holding the
roof up. I can hang off the roof and it scarcely deflects. The two
posts are one third cantilevers.

There is space to replace your post with a steel column concreted into
the ground and having a braced joist. Unless you start parking a box
van:-)

The post has a cross piece in the ground bolted to the bottom. I don't
believe anything could pull it out. The post was free, not like your
steel post and concrete. And it's working fine.

What the poets might call antipodean expediency.

If I can make something for nothing out of what I have lying around, I
will do that.