Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Cantilevered garage

In message
,
Matty F writes
I've nearly finished my garage that I discussed recently.
There's no room to drive into the end of it, so I have made two huge
doors so that the end and most of one side open up.

I see you have stiffened one with diagonal bracing. It might be as well
to do the other now before you have to lift to close.

Here's the garage with the doors shut:
http://i56.tinypic.com/io21w0.jpg

and with the doors open:
http://i55.tinypic.com/r8fb01.jpg

Here's the inside of the roof, which is held up by Douglas Fir:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2r5c1ef.jpg

That little post on the left does a really good job of holding the
roof up. I can hang off the roof and it scarcely deflects. The two
posts are one third cantilevers.

There is space to replace your post with a steel column concreted into
the ground and having a braced joist. Unless you start parking a box
van:-)

On the right you can see a bit of the wooden hinges that I made,
because I was under the impression that decent big hinges would cost a
lot. Then I discovered that they are cheap.
The two doors latch on to the spikes on the roof, in case we have a
hurricane. One spike not fitted yet.

The stringline on the roof is for the spouting yet to go on.

Total cost of garage, about GBP75 including paint. Most of the garage
was made from junk I had lying around in the way.
I'll paint the rest of the fence. The neighbour's house used to be
orange!

What the poets might call antipodean expediency.

regards

--
Tim Lamb