Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC[_2_] TMC[_2_] is offline

Default waterproofing a flat concrete roof

Lobster wrote:
On 12/07/2011 23:38, TMC wrote:
ex council house outside store roof 100mm thick concrete area about 4m x
3 metres

has rasied front and sides (a lip about 25mm high)

Never been felted

Looking at the fibrous paints or other low cost solution

Sounds identical to one I did myself once. IIRC I used bitumen paint as
a cheapo solution, as I knew I'd be selling the place not long
afterwards.

Seemed to do the job well enough; I can't vouch for it's longevity but
think if I'd been intending on keeping the property for a long time I'd
have chosen something more durable. Indeed, the purchaser's surveyor
flagged it as a future maintenance issue.

David

yeah. Concrete itself is pretty impervious, depending on the grade.

Anything that soaks in a bit of a plasticky or tarry nature will improve
it immensely.

Probably one of those render waterproofers will do.

good thoughts I will investigate further as I think that the problem is a
crack in the concrete