Posted to uk.d-i-y
Charles[_8_] Charles[_8_] is offline

Default How many coats of undercoat

On 12/07/2011 21:38, SS wrote:
Is there a limit to the amount of undercoats to put down before applying a
final coat of gloss.
One side of my porch gets hammered by the weather over winter and have
currently I have taken it back to the wood, so far I have given it 2
undercoats but wondering if there is any benefit by giving another couple of
coats before a final gloss.

As previous message said. One maybe two undercoat either combined with
primer, or primer first (too late now), two top coat gloss. Don't
overdo it in coats. very light sanding in between coats (I use 180 or
240 grade) some prefer wet and dry.

Use a recognised brand of exterior paint, and follow their instructions.

Cheers
Charles