Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling and brazing a fuel tank

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:11:09 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:57:11 -0500, Ignoramus24437
wrote:

I have a 22 gallon (or so) fuel tank that originally had gasoline in
it.

I want to use it for diesel.

I would like to drill it and install a through-hull fitting, which
would be for the fuel return line. Ideally, I would like to braze the
fitting in place also.

My question is how do I drill it and braze, so that it would not
explode.

The tank has not had gasoline in it for a couple of weeks.

Today, I recently set it up with the fuel cap open, turned it over so
that the fuel fill hole pionts down, and set it out so that it would
becmoe quite hot under the sun.

Would it be correct to assume that after a few days I could purge it
with compressed air, and then drill and braze it, without exploding?

Would purging with argon be a good idea?

Fill it with carbon monoxide from your exhaust pipe on your welder, car
or any other internal combustion system..and while the engine is
running..make the weld.

Its cheap, only requires a shop vac hose and works well enough. But let
it run for an hour or so before starting the weldment.

Or you could simply drill a hole..thread it..and screw in your fitting.
Id suggest a 3/4" fitting, with an adapter to the proper size, if done
this way.

Gunner

In order to get enough CO from the exhaust of either of my cars you'd
need to run it a LONG time. Less than .03 parts per million CO on the
one car, and less than .003 parts per million on the other.
And CO isn't the best purge gas anyway.

Thankfully the concentration of CO2 in engine exhaust is quite high,
and O2 content extremely low - so engine exhaust works reasonably
well. Has the advantage of being HOT so it boils out any gasoline
absorbed into rust scale etc, and trapped in pinch seams etc..

For gas tanks I generally either soldered or brazed repairs and fuel
fittings