Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Dealing with height on ladders.

SS wrote:
I really need to paint the soffit board and sort some guttering
problem is :-

A. Cant really afford a pro and I am capable of doing the work.
B. beyond around 10 feet I am crap on a ladder, even if I got higher
I would be hanging on rather than doing anything.

Ideally I would like to get the work done this summer although could
probably wait til next year.

Anyone else got this `fear` of height/ladders and how did you
overcome it. I just done feel safe or comfortable 20 feet up. Is
there a better type ladder I could use thinking it may be cheaper to
buy something, use it, then sell on ebay.

Once you have got a good ladder you will want to keep it.

I never really overcame my fear of hights, I am however a lot more confident
than I used to be. Maybe just practice did it for me. Although I still
cannot work out how some people are able to just walk off a ladder onto a
roof and make it look as easy as walking through a door.

It is more working from a ladder than the height (I think) as I am
currently painting the window above the front porch, it has a steep
roof but I can access from the bedroom window, I just tie a rope
around the bed hang it out and use that as a comfort thing. Strange
thing is I cannot access the porch roof from a ladder, I tried and
just got scared and backed off.
Any thoughts or ideas on this would be appreciated.
thanks

As John pointed out you can secure the ladder to the wall with an eyelet.

--
Adam