Posted to rec.woodworking
George W Frost George W Frost is offline

Default Base cabinet for front-load washer?

"RimaNeas" wrote in message
I will be remodeling my laundry room shortly and will be getting a front
putting it (and the dryer) on a base cabinet to raise it up around 14-16
inches. I can easily make the base to match my other cabinets.

Do I need any special design considerations for the base or its top? I
imagine the appliances would want to walk some, so a lip would be in order
and the dang things are heavy, but I normally build beefy. I am thinking
of a tiled top for the cabinet... Any info/experience would be
appreciated.

Cheers, Shawn

They do walk sometimes and a 1" lip would be good
tiled top would not be any good as if the machined decided to take a trip
somewhere, the movement would crack the tiles.
I built one out of 14 ply 12" high and cut the corners out of the top piece
for more stability for the feet of the machine.
You could go over the top and put a drawer in it for the washing liquid etc.
I only went 12" high because of the dryer on top of the washer.